Brianna Baker is an HBCU Grad, basketball referee, master’s student, and future Sports Psychologist. Today we get into her perspective on the struggles that athletes experience as well as the negative side effects of fame, money, and everything in between. Let’s get into it!
- Intro – Why sports psychology?
- 4:00 – Aaron Hernandez Documentary
- The Suicide
- Drug Addiction
- 8:25 – Fame Over Punishment
- Domestic Violence Cases
- Consumer Dollars
- Social Media Influence
- Providing For Your Family
- 13:50 – Mental Health Issues in Sports
- Delonte West’s Viral Video
- NBA Awareness
- Self Medicating
- 17:45 – Player Pressure Points
- League Responsibility
- Post-Career Programs
- Is Help Available?
- 23:45 – Enablers vs. Supporters
- Feeling Invincible
- Choosing the Right Circle
- Media Impact
- 28:00 – Do ALL Athletes Have Mental Health Issues?
- The New Generation
- Black Men & Women in Sports
- Money Isn’t Happiness
- 36:00 – Kids On Drugs
- Competitive Advantage
- By Any Means Necessary
- Family Support is Key
- 40:00 – Bri’s Rules To The Game
- Outro – Dior by Pop Smoke #RIP https://music.apple.com/us/album/dior/1476083543?i=1476083819
Thank you to our special guest!!!
Brianna Baker – MCAOB Basketball Referee & Sports Psychology graduate student
Follow us on social media & use hashtag #RulesToTheGame to join the conversation!
Instagram: @shann.sports @_briannalael_ @swagg.sports
Directed & Produced by Damani Givens | Created & Hosted by Shannon Nichele